Due to the demand of classes and limited seats, if you are unable to attend a class, please let us know 1 week in advance of the scheduled class and we will give you a full refund or a credit for a future class.
Philadelphia, PA: Beginner Workshop (2-Day)
Learn SketchUp the right way!
Become a SketchUp guru in just 2 days of training. The class is meant for beginners and seasoned users alike. The first day begins with the basics and sets you up for success to model quickly and effectively as well as break any bad habits learned along the way. Students will learn how to create and organize a space as well as understand presentation and exporting techniques.
The second day goes through 2D to 3D SketchUp workflows, modeling from photographs, techniques for creating simple documentation drawings and on how to create photorealistic renderings.
Know before you go
Students should bring their own laptop, power cord, and mouse.
Students that purchase a class will receive:
6 months of access to our tutorial library. ($55 value)
Students may choose to install a 30 day trial of SketchUp Pro. Previously versions are ok as well. For the last session, students will be a plugin called SU Podium. The instructor will provide details on how to install a trial of SU Podium and any other extensions once you sign up. If you do not have administrative rights to the computer you are using, please contact us prior to the session for your administrator to install the items needed for the course.
Morning: Learn the Basics
This beginner class shows you the basics and creates a strong foundation to build upon. Learn the essentials of navigating SketchUp and the terminology of the program.
- Introduction: Welcome Screen, Templates, Toolbars
- Drawing in 2D: Line, Rectangle, Circle, Polygon, Arc, Freehand
- Lines & Inferencing
- Massing a Model: Learn how to inferencing works in 3D as well as use the Follow-me tool to create complex roof pitches.
- Measuring & Precision: Learn the essentials of drawing in your default units, using the Offset and Push/pull tools.
- Guide me: Learn how to use guides to create window and door openings quickly.
- Groups and Section: Learn why we create groups in the model and how to select objects and geometry.
- Move, Rotate, Copy: Simple exercises that showcase these powerful tools.
Afternoon: Workflow and Presentation Tricks
This session expands on the skills from Session 1 and shows you how to apply them in techniques and exercises. Working files are included that help show how you can use the program in creating drawings and presentations.
- Styles & Scenes: Learn how to create views and use styles within your model.
- Navigating Around: Learn the ins and outs of orbit, perspectives, pan, etc.
- Creating Groups & Components: Learn when to create components instead of groups.
- Modeling Workflow: Learn how to approach modeling more complex spaces.
- Section Cuts and 2D Views: Learn how to make orthographic views and section cuts and export them.
- A Taste of LayOut: Learn the basics of creating a presentation with SketchUp’s paper-space program: LayOut. (This is a feature with SketchUp Pro)
Morning: 2D to SketchUp Workflow
This lesson provides the ideal workflow for using SketchUp when importing existing 2D line drawings. Import a 2D file and learn tips and tricks for organizing line-work, creating reference groups, aligning geometry, and constructing 3D models quickly. Also, you will learn how to save time with some clever plugins for this workflow. Prior CAD skills is not required for this session.
- New Matched Photo: Learn how to model a building for an existing photograph, grab the geolocation and photo-texture the massing model.
- Importing 2D Files: Learn what imports, how its placed and how to make this work to your benefit.
- Layers in SketchUp: Understand how SketchUp controls visibility and geometry.
- Organizing the 2D Model: Learn who to group line work, create layers, and align / rotate 2D elevations in a typical workflow.
- Interior Modeling: Learn techniques for creating openings, adding walls, and placing components. Learn advanced camera tools to better see inside the model.
- Plugins: Learn how to install plugins and use them to save time in creating typically architectural elements like windows, staircases, louvers, and doorways.
- Exporting: Learn how to export views as images, cad files, and how to send to LayOut to create a presentation.
Afternoon: Photorealistic Rendering
This lesson gives you the tricks and techniques to create photorealistic renderings with SketchUp and a plugin called Podium. Learn how to create reflective materials, lights, and techniques for interior and exterior renderings. This session finishes up by creating a composite rendering and adjusting in Photoshop.
- Why Podium? Learn why I use Podium version other plugins in the market.
- Toolbars: Learn how to navigate the basic tools and interface.
- Interior Techniques: Learn the fundamentals of what makes for a good scene and how to adjust lighting within a room.
- Exterior Techniques: Learn how to adjust style properties and techniques for efficiently modeling with Podium.
- Materials: Learn how to adjust reflection, refraction, bump and blur settings.
- Lighting: Learn how to create spot lights, light
- Podium Browser: Tired of creating materials and lights? Podium Browser offers content with reflections and lighting already built in.
- Rendering: Go through the steps and process while in the rendering engine; this includes best rendering settings and knowing when a rendering is going to be good or bad so you’re not waiting around for it to finish.
- Photoshop Techniques: Learn how to create a composite rendering using techniques in Photoshop to adjust levels, brightness, and contrast. Also learn how to use dodge and burn as well as styles in SketchUp to make your renderings look unique!